In order to market its products, OnePlus makes use of the methodology of Lean Startup which is Build, Measure and Learn. Unlike its other competitors who make use of the traditional strategies of advertising its products, OnePlus decided to cut its advertising costs to make its products available to its customers at a comparatively lower cost. The various marketing strategy and promotional mix that are used by OnePlus are:
• Invite Strategy – This strategy created a buzz among the customers. On every launch of its new products, OnePlus would throw a launch party where the employees, associates and various other invitees would come and unbox its product. This resulted in people to people promotions which allowed various other people to engage with its products. Thus, it helped the company to set up its customer base.
Celebrity Engagements- Looking at the challenges of the dynamic Indian market, OnePlus collaborated with big shot actors like Sushant Singh Rajput, Amitabh Bachchan, comedian Vir Das and the famous chef Vikas Khanna. They exclusively selected artists from various niche industries was a clever move by OnePlus to capture the consumers to increase its market share.
• The attractive hashtag “Never Settle”- With the help of their advertising campaigns they wanted their customers to have a never settling experience. This hashtag showed that you do not need to spend a huge amount of money to engage people with your product. If you have the best product people would definitely be attracted to your brand.
• Influencer Approach- One plus created a wide network of 117 influencers in a single day. Along with that one plus also got many celecbrities such as Mouni Roy, Suresh Raina, Be you nick etc to tweet and pose with their smartphones which created a lot of buzz.
• One plus introduced their new brand ambassador as Amitabh Bachchan. On the launch of One plus 6, Amitabh Bachchan revealed the price of one plus 6 along with their unique features and colour options.
• Recently one plus entered into Guinness world record for being the phone unboxed by most people simultaneously. One plus 6T was unboxed by around 559 people simultaneously in an event held in Mumbai.
• One plus organizes one plus pop ups which gives the one plus community to interact and this shows that their opinion do matter a lot. Along with that they organize a meetup of 30 of its most engaged customers to voice their opinion and interact with the brand. Through this, customer loyalty is also built.
• Word of Mouth- Initially, when OnePlus was all set to launch its very first product OnePlus One, it made use of one of the most common and difficult mode of marketing which is “Word of Mouth” to position its product in the minds of the consumers. In this technology-driven world where data speaks volumes and social media remains the king of advertising but the efforts made by OnePlus to generate its popularity by targeting and re-targeting its product to consumers by user-generated reviews was unmatchable.
• Screenings of the product in theatres- On the launch of its latest product Oneplus 5, the company had live screenings of this product across theatres in all the metropolitan cities. It provided offers to its fans to purchase tickets worth Rs. 99 on BookMyShow, to get a chance to participate in the big reveal.
• Television Advertisements- Oneplus revealed the ad of OnePlus 5 during the most expected India Pakistan cricket match. They spent a huge amount of money in this advertisement but they were certain that they had managed to grab a whole lot of attention to the product.