• FDP101x is a foundation program in ICT for education which will deal with all aspect of technology.
• FDP101x provides hybrid learning in which learners are able to learn both from face to face interaction and also from online resources.
13th to 23rd Sep, 2018
MOVING FROM PHYSICAL TO ONLINE CLASS ROOM
1.1 MOVING FROM PHYSICAL TO ONLINE CLASSROOMS
There are three basic elements in a physical classroom: Teacher, content and the learner. The three elements interact with each other to give an effective teaching learning experience. In online learning platform the teacher becomes the facilitator. The teacher -learner and learner-learner interaction is through discussion forums. The entire online teaching learning experience is learner centred.
Reflection Question : Can you list one example of the interactions that happened between these three in a normal classroom?
Answer: Teacher will be explaining the concept of a particular topic by lecture, videos and slides. This is an interaction between Teacher and learner. Teacher delivering lecture by referring course materials and using various features available in learning is an interaction between teacher and content. If the students are doing problems related to the topic, is the interaction between learner and content. Teacher giving chance to the students to discuss the application of that topic among them is an interaction between learner and learner.
1.2 PEDAGOGIC ADAPTATION : LEARNING DIALOGUES (LeDs)
Reflection Spot is the pedagogic modification made in online classroom to make it as a Learning Dialogue where the video is automatically paused to answer the question.
Reflection Question : What is the equivalent of such a video in a regular teaching-learning interaction within your classroom? What additional feature does online video provide us?
Answer : The teacher with preparation of lecture notes , chalk and board and having discussion with students in classroom.
Learner can pause and played the video at any time. The screen size, volume, speed can be controlled according to the need of the learner. If concept is not clear, learner can repeatedly watch the video, move forward or backward if needed to understand the topic properly. Also transcript is coming below the video.
? PEDAGOGIC ADAPTATION : LEARNING BY DOING ACTIVITIES (LbDs)
This is the second pedagogic feature. In this activity a question was asked immediately after watching the videos.
Reflection Question : What advantage do you see in answering practice questions immediately after watching LeD videos?
Answer : By answering practice questions after LeD videos, learner is getting an opportunity to familiarize with the concepts. By answering the questions the concepts is reinforced to the learner. Detailed explanation of correct answer is an added advantage which helps to increase learner understand ability.
? PEDAGOGIC ADAPTATION: LEARNING EXTENSION RESOURCES (LxTs)
This is the third pedagogic feature. The advanced resources like videos, links to webpages, research papers etc. will help us to acquire a deep knowledge about a particular topic. Also assimilation quizzes are included to test whether we have acquired the key concepts from resources.
Reflection Question: Can you think about the function of assimilation quizzes?
Answer :The assimilation quizzes is to test whether we understood the key concepts through the resources. It also help to gain additional knowledge about the concepts.
? PEDAGOGIC ADAPTATION : LEARNING EXPERIENCE INTERACTIONS (LxI)
In a physical classroom, the teacher elaborated the content and suggests specific points to be discussed in a structured manner. In online programs, discussions are focused and will have a specific instruction on what to discuss and how to discuss followed by a graded quiz.
Reflection Question: What are the advantages of having a structured group discussion with a focus question and specific instructions?
Answer :The advantage of structured group discussion is that it helps to understand the concept in a different perspective .Also the discussion will be more interesting as learners can exchange their experiences and gain more about the topic. The discussions are followed by a graded quiz and this will improve understanding for a particular topic.
? SELF EXPLORATION RESOURCES
Basics of ICT: Fast computations and large data storage: Information Technology
Wired/wireless messages: Communication Technology
Discussed the hardware and software involved.
? Resource Creation 1: Course Journal
This session helps to prepare journal by using video. Whatever learner have the knowledge from the videos, it may written with discipline manner in course journal called learner’s reflection.
Reflection Question: What are the advantages of doing entire activity of writing?
Answer : Course journal is made by the learner in a disciplined manner for the questions asked at reflection spots. It contains learner’s reflections. It helps to record the activities from the beginning and to recollect the content discussed during the course. It is the process of thinking and sharing the thoughts and experiences of a content with peers.
20th to 30th Sept,2018
WEB PRESENCE FOR TEACHERS
• There are three sections and eleven sub-sections in Week 2, where we are getting the ideas related to Internet and Website creation.
• You will learn how to create a Website using WordPress.
2.1 THE INTERNET
? What is the Internet?
Whenever you want to use online tools for collaboration, you will need to have an email address. The email addresses are one form of your online presence. It helps
you create websites, blogs, wiki pages and social networks that extends your web presence.
Reflection Spot: Do you know what Internet is?
Answer: The internet is a globally connected network system that uses protocols to transmit data through various types of media. The internet is a global exchange network .
Reflection Spot: Do you know how it works?
Answer: Internet works through different packets or frames with the help of routing algorithms using distributed packet switch network. This network is used to transfer digital information around earth in a second (MIPS). The digital information such as Blogs, images, music’s, videos, games, documents, lists, tags
? How the internet works
Reflection Spot: Do you know how information travels from your computer to other networks?
Answer: Computers use 1’s and 0’s. Millions of computers are connected to servers. Many servers are interconnected. When you send an information to someone, the message breaks up into packets that travel across the network. Different packets from the same message don’t have to follow the same path. That’s part of what makes the Internet so robust and fast. Packets will travel from one machine to another until they reach their destination. As the packets arrive, the computer receiving the data assembles the packets like a puzzle, recreating the message.
? Some internet protocols
Reflection Spot: Think of what happens when you write and send an email to your friend. What do you think are the activities/processes taking place from the time you send it to the time you receive a response?
Answer: Using the email service provider such as Yahoo, Gmail, Rediffmail , log in using mail id into the domain letter choose compose mail, write down content, attach file if required and send to the friend. After that the drafted mail travel to server, server to friends mail id and when he read the message the reverse process will took place.
2.2 WORD PRESS FOR WEBSITE CREATION
? Tools for Website Creation
In this video firstly the need of website creation is explained. The need may be to create content, Show CV, Publish Research Work, To provide Summer Internship, Provide Teaching Material and Post Blogs. There are two type of website Simple and Multi Functional.
• Drupal for complex and structured pages
• Word press for simple pages and blogs
? Basic Customization in Wordress
? WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and by SQL.
? An account can be created in wordpress using email id as username to access wordpress for creation of website.
? Everything in WordPress is a post. Even a ‘page’ is a post designated as a page.
? An account has to be created at www.wordpress.com in which freely available. Domain can be registered with wordpress.com extension.
? The site created on wordpress can be managed through dashboard.
? Adding Content in WordPress
This video provides the information about how to create Blogs and Pages and how to categorized it.
? Managing Content in WordPress
This video is basically is to understand the function of Control Pannel. Control Pannel which manages blogs, media, pages, comment and other site level actions. Through ” My Site” then into WP Admin leads to the dashboard. This interface allows you much more complicated interactions with the website. It elaborate difference between Post and Sticky Post. It shows how the post can be managed using control panel.
? Advanced Customization in WordPress
The video provides information about advance customization in wordpress. It shows such few configuration which are not in the default profile and has been done through the dashboard.
• Adding Media: From the Admin dashboard, select the page in which to add media and then add media from the media library
• Adding Video: Creating a video with different software’s and then uploading and publishing through YouTube.
2.3 LEARNING EXTENSION RESOURCES
? Using Drupal to create a website
Using Drupal to create a page. Drupal is an open source and free Content Management System (CMS). 63 video lessons about creation of website using Drupal.
? Concentrate on
1. Lesson 2 – Introduction to Drupal
2. Lesson 3 – Why choose Drupal?
3. Lesson 9 – Drupal Content
4. Lesson 12 – Extend
5. Lesson 18 – Creating a Basic Page
Think of one way in which you can use a WordPress webpage to achieve the above goal?
Answer: Using my website on wordpress, I can connect to each students through internet. I can share all the data related to any topic in my class to all the students on webpage by sharing the link for the resource. So that I can reach to each student.
27th Sept. to 7th Oct. 2018
CREATING YOUR OWN VIDEO RESOURCES
There are two main sections and ten sub-sections in Week 3 where we will be elaborating the ideas about how you will be able to create your own video resources.
• You will start by going through learning dialogues on visual presentations.
• You will be directed on how to create your own video resources using selected screen casting software.
3.1 VISUAL PRESENTATION
? Visual Presentation Skills 1
Reflection Spot: Assume that you are planning to create a slide with your subject content and uploaded it to your WordPress website. You are creating this as an open educational resource (OER) so that everyone can access and use it. What visual parameters will you take care of during your slide design so that your website visitors find it easier to understand?
Answer: visual parameters are-
2) Text Font
4) Maintain flow of presentation
8) Pleasant color combination
? Visual Presentation Skills 2
Reflection Spot: Given that you know how to design visuals from the previous learning dialogue, what do you think are the considerations you have to make when using fonts and colors in slide design? How many font types, font sizes and colours will you use in the design of your slides?
1) The font should be readable. It must not using fluorescent/ dark colours.
2) Avoid vivid colours.
3) I will use contrast colours for the font and background .
4) Different font sizes will be used .Mostly one font for headline and other font for body.
5) Colours communicate mood
6) Vivid and pale colours are less readable
7) Two types of graphics can be used static and motion
8) Different types of graphic representations available for content
? Learning Experience Interaction
List three design considerations you have used in preparing your slides.
• Different font sizes will be used .Mostly one font for headline and other font for body.
• Put text in bold/italics/underline .
• Use San serif font for PPT and serif for documents .
• Give reference for graphics used
• Use 6*6 rules-not more than 666 points and not more than 6 words per points
3.2 SPOKEN TUTORIAL: CREATING A VIDEO OPEN EDUCATION RESOURCE > CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSING
? Creative Commons Licensing
CC is a way to create, share, copy, collaborate, remix and reuse .one can create by its own. Creative Commons (CC) is one way that offers public license which allows you to set the way you want other people to use your content (open educational resources) and how the already available content can be used by others.
? Creating Spoken Tutorials
In this video Prof.Kannan Moudgalya told us about Open Educational Resources which are also known as OER. He told us about Khan Academy, NPTEL, OCW and MOOCs such as, edX which have a lot of open educational resources that can be accessed any time. He specifically talked about an OER called Spoken Tutorial. It teaches open source software through audio-video tutorials.
The processes involved in creating a spoken tutorial.
The various steps were:
1. Write the script
2. The script should be passed to the novice before we start its recording
3. Then we record the script
4. The video should be of less than 10 minutes.
3.3 OTHER SCREENCASTING SOFTWARES
? Other Softwares
In this section of this week we came to know about various Screencast Softwares. There are certain softwares with (GNU General Public License) which allow users to freely distribute and modify the original program.
Some of the non-GPL softwares are also popularly used namely
2. Techsmith Jing (for Windows and OSX)
3. Techsmith Camstatia (for Windows)
4. Quicktime (for OSX)
3.4 LEARNING EXTENSION RESOURCES
Here we learnt about some simple multi-media principles that would help us in designing better screen casts.The video by Matt Gerberick explains ‘Multimedia Principles’ in three categories
1. Redundancy Principle: People learn deeply from graphics and narration than from graphics, narration and onscreen text.
2. Coherence Principle: People learn better when extraneous material is excluded rather than included.
3. Spatial Contiguity Principle: People learn better when corresponding pictures and words are presented near each other on a page rather than far from each other. An American educational psychologist Prof. Richard E Mayer was the person who is chief contributor behind the ‘Multimedia Principles’.
3.5 RESOURCE CREATION AND PEER REVIEW
In this section we learnt about the fundamentals of Peer Review. Peer review phases are submission, allocation, review and consolidation. The peer review process helps in obtaining feedback from multiple people about the quality of their submission.
4th Oct. to 14th Oct.2018
LEARNING MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
There were Face to Face interactive sessions for all the participants (A-VIEW interactions) on 6th & 7th Oct.2018.
In this week explored Learning Management Systems (LMS). IITBombayX is an LMS, it is primarily catering to massive open online courses.
? MOODLE: An Open Source Learning Management System
MOODLE is an open source learning platform which is used in delivering courses online. It has many features like
• Peer assessment assignments etc
? Learning Experience Interaction-Discussion Forum Etiquettes
Focus Question: Can you identify the pedagogic feature that has been used in the animation video on Forum Etiquettes?
ANSWER: The pedagogic feature that has been used in animation video on Forum Etiquette is Reflection spot where questions are asked during the video .
Focus Question: What is one new thing that you learnt about discussion forum etiquette?
ANSWER: The new thing that I learnt about discussion forum etiquette is Follow rules
1) Do not shout
2) subject title should be meaningful
3) not to steal
4) Do not argue
5) Respect the decision of checker
4.3 MOODLE in IIT Bombay
? MOODLE in IIT Bombay
MOODLE is a popular Learning Management System used by several academic institutions worldwide. IIT Bombay also uses MOODLE as the LMS to offer various courses. The basic features offered by MOODLE to a teacher are:
• Course setup
• Editing sections
• Adding resources
• Creating assignments
• Creating discussion forums
• Creating quizzes
? Exploring Course Settings Inside Moodle
The administration section consists of editing option. By turning this editing option ON there are options like,
• Add information
• add some activity or resource
• Edit section name
? Editing Sections in a Course
Editing Sections in course:
• Modify the section name
• Add new section name
• Topics covered
• Add/Edit the content in the summary
• Grading of the assignment can be done online and can have due dates for submission
? Discussion Forums in Moodle
There are different blocks like a search forum, latest news forum, upcoming events and recent activity on the right side of Moodle’s dashboard.
• Start a discussion, click on add a new topic
• A new window titled as news forum open
• Add subject and message about topic to be added to the forum and then it can be posted to the forum.
• Students can reply to the post and the teracher has the option to see the original message as well as the replies of the students.
• The students can initiate a discussion themselves and the facilitator can reply to the same.
? Creating a quiz in MOODLE
• Select Add an activity or resource link
• Select quiz option and then click on add
• Assign a name and description about quiz.
• Can choose kind of questions like multiple choice, true or false
• we can add new questions to quiz or can add a question from a question bank using Edit quiz option
4.4 CREATING ASSIGNMENTS IN MOODLE
• To add an assignment, turn on the editing option link in administration section.
• Select add an activity or resource link
• Select assignment and click on add
• Allocate a name and add a suitable description to it
• Using the availability option, a starting date and due date for submission can be uploaded.
• There is an option to choose how assignment can be uploaded: File submission or online text
4.5 LEARNING EXTENSION RESOURCE
Features of Learning Extension Resource
• Various Features of MOODLE
• Learn MOODLE MOOC 2015
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
5.1 OPEN SOURCE TOOLS FOR SMART CLASS ROOMS
? Tools for Smart Classrooms
List of Open Source applications that can assist in such a classroom-
• Open Board for Interactive Whiteboards
• Mediawiki for asynchronous collaborations
• Github for collaborations particularly useful for Computer Science Teachers
The above tools are free and open source.
These are few paid/proprietory applications:
• ConceptBoard or Realtimeboard for real time collaborations
• Confluence by Atlassian as a team collaboration software
5.2 SUMMARIZING FDP101X
1) WEEK 1: MOVING FROM PHYSICAL TO ONLINE CLASSROOM
Technologies : Google docs, MS word, Google drive, Drop box
Activities : Uploading course journal
2)WEEK 2: WEB PRESENCE FOR TEACHERS
Technologies : WordPress , Drupal
Activities : Creating “username.wordpress.com” website
3)WEEK 3: CREATING YOUR OWN VIDEO RESOURCES
Technologies : Screen casting Software’s
Activities : Creating a screencast of how to create a wordpress webpage
4)WEEK 4: LEARNING MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Technologies : MOODLE
Activities : Practice a course in demo moodle site
5.3LEARNING EXPERIENCE INTERACTION
Focus Question: Among the various technologies that you have been exposed to, which will be an easier technology to integrate into your classroom immediately (current academic semester/next academic semester).
ANSWER: LeD, LBDs, WordPress and screencast are the technologies will immediately implement in current academic semester . I will proceed with moodle after more practice.
Focus Question: What challenges do you expect while integrating this technology into your classroom?
ANSWER: High Speed Internet Connectivity